5 Holiday Hazards for Dogs

During this celebratory time, we wish the very best for all of your family members, including the furry four-legged ones.

We know that things can be busy and festive and a bit lax, but we want you to be aware of some holiday hazards for dogs, while you’re celebrating.

  1. Chocolate

Ahhh, chocolate. It’s one of the world’s tastiest treats, but they are incredibly toxic and downright dangerous for dogs. It may seem that a small piece would be harmless but that’s not true. It’s not worth the health risk to sneak this tasty human treat to your pet. During the holiday season, chocolate is often given as gifts. They may come in various shapes and wrappings and they are all intriguing to your dog. Be sure to keep them out of the reach of your dog at all times.

  1. Cocktails

If you’re hosting a party and part of your celebration includes adult holiday beverages, make sure that your drinks are not left unattended. Pets are curious and sometimes mischievous. They will sip their curiosity into sickness. If ingested, your dog could become very sick and may even go into a coma and possibly result in death because of respiratory failure. Alcohol beverages are often overlooked as a holiday hazard for dogs.

  1. Nuts

Macadamia nuts are reported to contain an unknown toxin that could result in neurological symptoms in dogs if ingested. In addition to macadamia nuts, which are commonly given as holiday gifts, dogs have difficulties digesting walnuts, almonds, and pecans. Though small to humans, they are large enough to cause an intestinal obstruction for smaller animals.

  1. Poultry Bones

When bones are cooked they become dehydrated and brittle. If your dog eats them (and we know they’ll sniff around excitedly to do so) they can splinter and puncture your dog’s stomach or intestines. When you’re done enjoying your meal, make sure that you clean up the area and dispose of any bones so that your dog isn’t further tempted to devour them.

  1. Grapes and Raisins

For dogs, even the smallest amount of ingesting grapes and raisins have been fatal for both cats and dogs. These fruits are extremely toxic to pets. If consumed they could experience the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea
  • Hyperactive behavior
  • Depression
  • Kidney failure

Ultimately, you want to keep these fruits away from your pets. This includes any desserts, fruit baskets, or dressings.

 

At Sarasota Vet, we want everyone to celebrate the holiday in the safest and most enjoyable way. Make the very best memories by keeping your pets safe and healthy.