17 Jul Fight The Fleas!
The discovery of fleas on your pup can be disconcerting, we know!
The good thing is that if you can tackle them head-on and steadfastly, you can be rid of them for once and for all. We have some tips on giving your dog a flea dip at home. What exactly is a flea dip anyway? The term flea dip refers to both the process and product used to get rid of fleas. We have a simple, yet effective, natural home remedy to help you fight the fleas!
This homemade flea dip will not only repel and kill fleas, but will also protect your pup from chemicals and pesticides. The shopping list is pretty easy, as all you’ll need are a few lemons! That’s it. Lemons contain a chemical called limonene, which is a natural repellant, killing fleas on contact. Before using the homemade flea dip, clean your pup with a mild, natural flea shampoo. This is like a pre-flea dip, because it will provide a base and kill many of the fleas or impair them before you start the homemade flea dip process.
To make this homemade flea dip, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Fill a large saucepan with water and boil it
- Cut up 1 – 2 lemons into slices or rinds and add them to the boiling water
- Turn off your stove and allow the pot to sit overnight (much like steeping like tea)
- The next morning, pour the flea dip into a container like a pitcher or even a spray bottle, if you have one
- Next, fully saturate your pup with your homemade flea dip and allow it to air-dry
You want to make sure that you spray or apply the flea dip everywhere, including the belly, the tail, and their “armpits.” All of these areas are favorites of fleas! When applying the flea dip, however, be careful not to get any near his eyes or in their ears. This will likely burn and cause major discomfort.